One of the best parts of the spring and summer months (and sometimes early fall as well) is being able to throw outdoor events for your friends and family. Although you can’t always predict inclement weather, a backyard party in July is something to be treasured.
Because outdoor parties are a fun way to have a family gathering in the warm weather, you want to make sure that you have the most successful event that you can. From the party theme to the food you will serve, everything should be planned and prepared ahead of time so that you and your guests will have a fun experience.
Making your guests comfortable and ensuring that everyone has a great time is not something that just happens on the day of the garden party. It needs to be planned, and many factors need to be considered to make sure your outdoor space is well-suited for your next outdoor party.
Factors to Consider for Outdoor Dinner Parties
When you are planning indoor events or an outdoor party, there is a great deal to think about. For the backyard party, though, the weather (and everything associated with that) needs to be incorporated into the planning process. Here are some of the most important things to keep in mind as you plan your outdoor event:
- How will you keep guests cool – If your yard is exposed to the sun all summer long throughout the whole day and into the evening, that can get very warm. Your guests will need to have places to retreat into the shade as well as enough seating while they relax out of the sun. Be sure all guests stay hydrated, especially the kids who will likely be running around.
- Prepare for the little necessities – While you are planning, it is easy to overlook small necessities that can really make or break the party on the day. During the summer, insects tend to be a backyard burden – make sure you have bug spray for pest control. It is important to keep kids busy throughout the party so that they do not cry or throw tantrums. Have toys like beach balls on hand to entertain the little ones.
- What will your theme be – From the table setting to the decorations to the food, your entire party could hinge on the theme that you choose. Keep it simple and easy so that all of your decor, food, plates, and party gifts can coordinate.
- What kind of lighting will you use – Once the sun sets, you will need to have lighting so that your guests can see and move around easily. Guests comfort is a top priority. String lights, candles, lanterns, tiki torches (if local safety codes allow them), and even lamps from your indoor space can be used to provide a warm glow.
- Will the weather cooperate – Sometimes the weather in Chicago can be a bit unpredictable, so it is wise to have a backup plan in case of an unexpected storm. If you can’t use your fire pit or get the grill master to cook the food, be sure you can make use of your indoor kitchen.
- Who will pick the music for the event – The right music can really set the mood and keep guests interested in your party for hours. Your musical choice should fit the party theme, be appropriate for the occasion, and be soft enough to allow conversations to take place. Be sure not to break any noise ordinances!
- Who will cater the event – One of the last things you need to be worried about is the food. It is a vital part of your dinner party, so you should leave it to the experts to get it prepared and served. At Corky’s Chicago Catering, our team is here to provide you with exceptional food for your outdoor dinner party, and we are happy to fit any theme you come up with.
If you follow these great tips, you are sure to have the hit event of the summer that people will be talking about all year long!
Outdoor Party Ideas in Chicago
There are a million different party themes that you could opt for when it comes to your outdoor dinner party. Some fun options for your event include:
- Holiday-themed (Halloween, 4th of July, Mardi Gras)
- Special occasion (birthday, anniversary, graduation)
- Backyard BBQ
- Casino night
- Historical era (“Roarin’ 20s”, “Hippie 60s”)
- Mad Hatter tea party
- Hawaiian luau
- Beach party
- Movie or television show theme
The sky is the limit when it comes to party themes, and our catering professionals at Corky’s Chicago Catering can help you develop a menu for your party that fits perfectly with the theme. Just give us a call, and we are happy to talk to you about your theme and what kinds of food would fit best. Our goal is to make your guests and you as happy as possible with our catering options.
Contact Us to Cater Your Next Outdoor Event in Chicago, IL
If you are a Chicago, IL, resident who is planning an outdoor party, Corky’s Chicago Catering would love to help you with the catering. We have vast experience and expertise in the food preparation industry, and our whole team is excited to bring you the catered food you need for your event.
At Corky’s Chicago Catering, we offer the best full-service catering and event planning for the entire Chicagoland area. We understand that planning a party on your own can be a daunting task, and we want to help take some of the stress and anxiety off of you. Our team is dedicated to fine foods, upscale events, and total event management. With us on your side, you can guarantee a successful party.
Contact Corky’s Chicago Catering to discuss your next backyard event and find out what type of special features and local cuisine we can create for your soiree. We are confident you will enjoy our food and services.